Traveling with kids can be much harder than it sounds. For families a trip away from home often needs to be organized like a military operation. For those with young children there is a large amount of paraphernalia that needs to be taken along, such as diapers and a change of clothes, even for a day trip. When taking a trip with older kids, parents need to be sure they are going somewhere that will hold the kids’ interest, as they can get easily bored and resentful when having to go somewhere that they haven’t chosen.
If the trip is for the entertainment of the whole family it is a good idea to sit and discuss with the kids where to go. Involving them in the decision making process will help them to feel more a part of it and will go a long way to making sure that every member of the family will have a good day. Not every member of the family will want to go to a theme park and others will not be interested in museums. Compromise may be the order of the day!
I don’t think long road trips are for everyone. I mean come on; days on end stuck in a car, driving for endless hours with two kids can be anything but enjoyable. It can be enjoyable though, well as enjoyable and possible for small children.
I’ve come to learn a few things.
- Portable DVD players are lifesavers!!
- So are smartphones for Googling “car games to play with kids”
- Car games! Eye Spy is fun but get creative! I did some searches and found some really fun car games for kids.
- A CD with kids songs, most likely everyone will know the words. Singing helps keeps the tears away.
- Naptimes are taken to a whole new level, you will actually find they also come at the perfect time. Just make the screaming stop!!
- Take breaks and see the scenery, explore local restaurants and you’ll feel so refreshed when you jump back in the car.
- Set small goals, and if you have small children stop and stay the night.
- Have a conversation with your family, hours and hours of driving can get old but make the best of it and create memories to last a lifetime. We’re always so “connected” yet never connected enough take the time to just talk.
- Always keep a bag of candy handy. I am not afraid of resorting to bribery.
It’s possible to keep your kids occupied and have a little fun along the way. We always try to find things to see and do along our routes and it gives us a little downtime once we’re back in the car.
How do you keep your kiddos occupied while traveling?
This article has not been altered by Chrysler.